Monday, March 21, 2011

Oestara


As I was leaving work late last week, I consciously noticed that it was still daylight and the air was somewhat warmer than it has been in recent weeks.  As I looked up to feel the sunshine on my face, I noticed something else that I hadn’t seen in about 12 months….THE CHERRY BLOSSOMS!!   Yes, the sure sign that spring is on its way!
The Spring Equinox, also known as Ostara comes from the Anglo-Saxon Goddess, Ostre.  Ostare is the Goddess of the East, Dawn, and the Spring. On this day, people celebrate the return of Spring, it is a time of birth and new life and it is when we renew our thoughts, dreams, and aspirations.
Easter, which falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox, is the Christianized version of Ostara.  It is said that the Goddess Ostre had an enchanted hare that was able to lay eggs.  He would decorate his eggs and give them to the Goddess as offerings.  But one day Ostre became very upset with the hare and banished him to the heavens, which became the constellation Lepus that lies beneath the feet of Orion the hunter.

Ostara Blessings,
~A


4 comments:

  1. WOW! Do I ever feel blessed! Now, how is that again? A rabbit who lays eggs? You're kidding!
    I'm smiling.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you see Steve, the rabbit used to be a bird, and the Goddess still wanted it to lay eggs, but not fly away...now that makes sense doesn't it? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. I like your sobriety counter--right up there. You never NEVER know who might glance at that, and say, "If THAT witch can do it, so can I!"

    Not grinning--serious!

    (I truly believed rabbits could lay eggs, LONG before I heard the "bird" angle...)
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! We're on the same wavelength. I sure like reading other takes on goddess lore. Nice.

    ReplyDelete