Monday, June 20, 2011

Woman To Woman

Who would have thought that I would ever go to a women's retreat.  Some of you might remember telling you about the lady that had the garage sale and gave me the money to attend this retreat for women affected by alcohol.  Well it was this past weekend and although I went kicking and screaming, internally of course, I actually kind of enjoyed myself...sorta.  You see I really am not a social person, I like to be at home and mostly stick to myself and my family.  I get very uncomfortable at times in a room full of people I don't know and it was very difficult for me to attend.  Thank goodness for the small handful of women that were there from my area.  It was a weekend of meetings, meditation, yoga, good food and friendship.  It was kinda cool to watch new relationships develop...yes watch.  I tend to stick to the background and watch everyone.  I have always been like that, especially when I was drinking.  I was never one to be the centre of the party or really even a part of it.  I was most comfortable sitting on the sidelines just watching.  But, I can tell you, it sure is lonely on the sidelines.  I can almost guarantee that I would have enjoyed myself much more if I had participated a little.  Oh well, perhaps I will give it another shot next year.

2 comments:

  1. You and I would be great friends, as I am a true homebody, I enjoy the company of others, but I also enjoy my time at home with family (dogs) and like you I enjoy get together's and retreats too, but I enjoy them from distance, not to be seen as being snotty, but more just that I am an introvert so this post makes perfect sense to me...glad you went and enjoyed though...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you went. I understand how hard it is to mix with others, I stink at idle chit chat. Service work has done wonders for getting me out of my shell and meeting new people, it has also helped me find my voice when it comes to expressing my thoughts and ideas to others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete