Monday, April 4, 2011

We are the chosen ones...

On Saturday night I went to a meeting to help celebrate a dear lady's 7 year cake.  What she does for AA in this community is uncomparable.  She has the kindest, most giving heart of almost anyone I have met and she has overwhelming empathy for anyone who is still suffering, whether they are in the program or have not quite found their way yet.  So as she was standing up at the podium sharing her experience strength and hope...just as she shared that we are the chosen ones...we are the ones that made it here to carry the message, the meeting room doors are flung open and in the doorway stands a women who is still suffering immeasurably.  She is ranting and screaming something, I didn't quite make it out as I was in utter shock.  Some in the room laughed at her, some laughed nervously and stared at her in shock, some asked if it was an April fool's joke or some kind of gag.  I knew different.  I had seen her in a few meetings, held her hand during The Serenity Prayer and had even had a conversation or two with her.  I knew it wasn't a gag, and it broke my heart...I kinda wish it had been a joke.  I felt the heaviness on my chest.  I knew she was hurting and as quick as she stormed in, she was gone.  I looked at my friend up the podium and it was clear the pain she felt for this poor suffering woman.




Yes we ARE the chosen ones!  We are the lucky ones that found our way to Alcoholics Anonymous and no longer have to suffer to that extent.  We can be HAPPY, JOYOUS & FREE and the PROMISES will come true IF WE WORK FOR THEM!

4 comments:

  1. In so wonderful a way Tammy, your writing has a different 'sound' than a year or two ago. It is a pleasure to read (hear) and see "what God has wrought" right here on your blog.

    No, the world has not changed (I used to think). YOU have changed, noticeably so. I am happy to know you, woman.

    I don't know how many Peeps read this blog, but if ONE makes it here who needs it and wants it, then you are doing your part in spreading the news. God smiles when He reads your blog--grin!
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thank you oh so much for your kind words. I am really enjoying writing my blog these days. Where I used to care more about the content and whether I had anything worth others spending their time reading, today I just write from my heart.
    Blessings to you and to whom ever stumbles across my ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right On! I hope the lady who burst into the meeting finally feels enough pain to start working the steps and follow other suggestions. People like her are sad reminders of where 1 little drink will take me.

    Peace Love Light

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tammy my heart breaks for this person. It is such a hard place to be. She knows where she belongs it is just to hard right now. Prayers...

    ReplyDelete