Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spirituality vs Religion

So this topic, as it often does, came up on a Facebook group that I belong to and I thought I would post it here to try and spark some dialogue.

I wrote in response to a few other posts:
"I love this topic! My question is how does one claim to be spiritual or religious when they judge and can't or won't accept another's belief. That isn't our place. Our job to to live, love, understand and accept. "It is better to understand... than to be understood" as says the St Francis prayer. The important thing I think is to believe in something...something that makes you feel good and peacefull and serene inside. That is spirituality in my eyes. Relgion is a set of rules (for lack of a better term), in which to practice your spiritual principles. Unfortunately, like all Religions, there are the fanatics that go to the extreme. For example, both Mother Teresa and Hitler followed the same Religion."

1 comment:

  1. As you said Religion alone does not define the outcome. Mother Theresa and Hitler both extreme's define that perfectly. Spiritual and Religious people are just that people. We have our spirituality and religion to allow for that human error. Both have forgiveness at their core. With out those we would of course be defeated and feeling much like we did when we were "out there" with shame of our humaness paramount. It is human nature to do these things we find so hurtful and requires first awareness of our shortcomings and then willingness to change. We are a silly lot us humans and that will never change. Again the only change we can make is us..Sadly not others :)) At least that is in my very very humble opionion. okay not so humble sometimes. lol

    ReplyDelete